Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Excuse me?

As a teacher, I have the opportunity to be privy to some interesting information coming straight from the students. Today was no exception. As I was sitting at my desk, I heard one student say to another, "Student C, your a jerk!" One of the many jobs that come with teaching is disciplinarian. So I called the perp over to find out why he called Student C a jerk...btw, the perp was Student B, no surprise there. His response, "yeah, I called him a jerk because he is my friend." I reply, "we don't call people jerks, it is not nice...", I am interrupted with this little gem of knowledge, "jerk means Junior Educated Rich Kid." Oh, thanks for clearing that up.
Some of my favorite parts of the job are when students say things, or write things that are inappropriate in some way shape of form by accident, or innocence, and I have to act like I am not shocked or surprised by them. Today was a new one. I was teaching butterfly metamorphosis and let the students draw and label their own picture of a butterfly. One student came up to ask if she could name her butterfly. Of course I said yes, and then she showed me the name she had at the top of her picture. Strip Butterfly. I didn't know where she was going with that one, until she said, "stripe butterfly." I told her to add an 'e' at the end of strip.
So today, just like most days, I learned some new things from my students...and if I ever become an exotic dancer, I know what my name will be...Strip Butterfly, it has a nice ring to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment