Saturday, May 22, 2010

Some things I enjoyed this week...

A few things have been running through my mind for my next post, but I couldn't choose just one topic, so I thought I would choose them all. So here are those things that I heard, read, or saw this week that made me smile, think, and wonder.

1.  This morning I was craving Orange Juice. In my mind was the picture of those cute little Minute Maid pint size cartons that have a little circle at the top for you to push the straw through. On the rare occasion that I actually get a chance to drink those (Del Taco Breakfast, Burger King Breakfast), I decided to tell Michael that I wanted to get OJ at the grocery store today. His response: "Oh, did you want to make breakfast for dinner tonight? You could make those splendid waffles that you made last week." I like hearing that my waffles are splendid.

2.  Last night, Michael and I went to Sportsman's Warehouse to spend his birthday gift card. His infatuation of late is his gun, ammo, and anything else associated with his Springfield XD40. As I started to get a little bored watching him dart around the store from the camping section to the ammo section to the whatever section, I decided to go off on my own and explore. I came across a scouting cookbook and decided to take a look. My favorite recipe from this collection: Ticks on a Toilet Seat. I guess that is the only way to get scouts to eat something healthy. Give some lineup of foods a name that evokes eating boogers, blood, scabs, and any jumble of bathroom processes will get scouts--well, boys mainly, hyped up to make and eat dinner. By the way, Ticks on a Toilet Seat is apples cut with a hole in the middle spread with cream cheese and topped with raisins.

3.  When we finally made is out of Sportsman's Indecision Warehouse, Michael came away with "Shooter's Electronic Earmuffs". (Oh, when I just called down the hall to find out what they are called exactly, Michael was actually laying on the bed wearing them...I know he is enjoying his purchase.) Last night when we got home, I sat down to watch The Office and he went in the bedroom. I came in later and found him asleep with the earmuffs on. As I got into bed, he removed them and we talked for a few minutes. I asked him if I could start a movie, so back on went the earmuffs and a pillow to cover his face. I wish I had a picture. Just imagine laying next to a guy that directs airplanes with those orange popsicles while wearing those big, almost square looking earmuffs. That was my husband.

4.  This morning I woke up early, finished my movie, and then started a book that I bought last year. It is called, Mr. Darcy's Diary. I know, I know, but I couldn't help it. I am a sucker for Regency love stories, and I know there is a lost more than a smattering of Pride and Prejudice spin-offs, but I am open to reading them, and I would like to hear his side of the story. As I was reading it, I started to notice how much I delight in the manner of speech from those times. Phrases like this caught my eye, "He is holidaying here...he is lost to all decency...He has dined here on occasion...etc. Could you imagine if we spoke like that? I wish we did. I think a lot of us would sound so much more intelligent. Say anything in a British accent and you already sound pretty smart. My favorite part of this book so far is Colonel Fitzwilliam's description of Mr. Collins. "He talks endlessly but says nothing." I love that. Do you know anyone that talks endlessly but says nothing? I can think of a few people I have had the displeasure to come in contact with in the confines of Sunday worship.

5.  I consider myself a documentary snob. I love to watch documentaries, and I can tell the good from the bad. The other evening Michael flipped to the documentary channel on Netflix and came across Volcanoes of the Deep Sea. Poor excuse for a documentary. I think Michael was trying to prove that it was cool, but I knew it was a wolf in sheep's clothing. I lost interest as soon as it started. Michael fell asleep ten minutes later. Documentaries of note, Expelled, Beauty Academy of Kabul, and Confessions of a Super-Hero. Watch. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment